Girls State is an Auxiliary program to educate young citizens in American, city, county and state government, and gives them the opportunity to have a "hands-on" experience in learning about our political system.
The 72nd Annual Session of American Legion Auxiliary Minnesota Girls State will be held on the campus of Bethel University, Arden Hills, MN on June 10-16, 2018.
Minnesota Girls State is a week long program for high school young women, who have just completed their junior year. Our program is non-political, non-partisan and non-secretarian and is completely sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary. The citizens gather first hand knowledge as to how our system of government functions and will leave with a sense of pride and enthusiasm about her responsibility in becoming a future leader. She is also given the opportunity to make life-long friends with citizens from througout the State of Minnesota.
1. Candidate must be in her junior year. She must be attending a Minnesota public, charter, home school, parochial or private school or be a resident of Minnesota.
2. She must show respect for the American Flag and be willing and eager to pledge her allegiance to it.
3. She may not have participated as a citizen in any previous session of Girls State.
4. She should be physically healthy.
5. She should have an above average scholastic standing.
6. She should be of high moral character.
7. She should have an interest in government and current events.
8. She should have strong leadership abilities.
9. No citizen should be sent to Minnesota Girls State who has any other commitment for any time during Minnesota Girls State week. No citizens may leave the grounds except on planned excursions, for any reason.
10. There should be no late arrivals.
Citizens for Girls State do not have to be daughters or relatives of American Legion Auxiliary members, but they must be sponsored by an Auxiliary Unit.
For more information or questions, contact the Auxiliary President at 507-364-5685.